Recipes and Lifestyle
May Recipe: Creamy Dandelion Salad
Dandelion greens are available in your yard, park, or even at the farmer's markets or your local CSA. They assist the liver in its cleansing the body from the heavy foods of wintertime. For many dandelion greens are hard to enjoy on their own due to their bitter taste. This recipe aids in cleansing the liver, and to prepare your body for Pitta Season come June.
- 1 Bunch of Dandelion Greens
- 2 Small Carrots
- 2 inch Daikon Radish
- 1/2 cup of almonds, soaked overnight and peeled
- 1/4 cup of lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1/2 cup of fresh coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp lightly dry toasted and ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp lighly dry and toasted coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp mineral salt (Celtic or Pink Himalayan salt)
1/4 cup unsweetened, coconut, lightly toasted
Remove the spine from the dandelion greens. Finely chop the green leaves and place them in a bowl. Using your fingers, work the mineral salt into the chopped greens. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the dandelion greens time to soften. Finely grate the carrots and daikon in a separate bowl. In a blender, make a cream by blending the almonds, lime juice, coconut milk and spices.
Add the the grated daikon radish, carrots and greens together along with the coconut cream mixture. Mix together gently. Garnish with coconut if desired and a touch of black pepper.